Educational Shows for Kids by Age + Books & Games!
This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.
The back to school season is over and this is what we consider the slump before fall! It’s the few weeks when we catch up on rest and sleep after being exhausted from new routines, picking up homework again, and just trying to survive.
My kids have been coming home from school absolutely exhausted lately and have been completely zoning out until after dinner when they have to start their homework. It doesn’t help that there seems to be a sick bug going around too! Below is an extensive list of educational shows (* indicates on Amazon Prime), apps and books for your kids to snuggle up on the couch with as they unwind from school! Just set their FreeTime up on their Kindle tablet and let them know their time limit!
Educational Shows for Kids
Educational Shows for Kids Ages 3-5
- Clifford’s Really Big Movie*
- Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood*
- If you Give a Mouse a Cookie*
- The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About Space!*
- Tumble Leaf*
Educational Shows for Kids Ages 6-8
- Odd Squad – The World Turned Off*
- Little Big Awesome*
- Lost in Oz*
- Barbie Dreamtopia*
Educational Shows for Kids Ages 9-12
- Costume Quest*
- Just Add Magic*
- Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny*
- LEGO DC Super Heroes: Batman Be-Leaguered*
- LEGO Marvel: Avengers Reassembled*
Book Recommendations for Screen Time with Kids: Reset Your Child’s Brain or Disconnected
Educational Apps & Games for Kids
Educational Apps & Games for Kids Ages 3-5
- The Cat in the Hat Builds That*
- Team Umizoomi: Math Racer*
- Toy Story: Story Theater*
- Disney Buddies: 123s*
- Elsa’s Ice Puzzles*
- Sneaky Snacky Squirrel
Educational Apps & Games for Kids Ages 6-8
- Animal Math Second Grade Math Games for Second Grade and Early Learners*
- Endless Numbers*
- Endless Spanish*
- Squeebles Punctuation*
- Times Tables Treasure Hunt*
- I Spy
Educational Apps & Games for Kids Ages 9-12
- World of Cubes*
- Ultimate Cat Simulator*
- LEGO Friends*
- Sonic Dash*
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Portal Power*
- Fractions Formula
Educational Books for Kids
Educational Books for Kids Ages 3-5
- Curious George Saves His Pennies*
- Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons*
- Goodnight Moon*
- Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car*
- The Berenstain Bears’ Bedtime Battle*
Educational Books for Kids Ages 6-8
- National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of the World*
- Splat the Cat: Back to School Splat!*
- The Incredibles*
- Moana: The Mighty Maui Makes a Friend*
- Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth*
- Ripley’s 5000 Awesome Facts
- Weird History
Educational Books for Kids Ages 9-12
- Mary Poppins*
- A Series of Unfortunate Events #1: The Bad Beginning*
- Big Nate: In the Zone*
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid*
- The Boxcar Children*
- KLUTZ books
*This list was provided to me by Amazon and falls under their educational titles.
Tips for Encouraging Educational Content Consumption:
Sit with your kids! Yes I know – you’re busy, you need to make dinner, other kids need you. But take 5 minutes to sit down with your kids at the start of a show or book and just be close! They won’t be there forever – they’re growing up! If you show interest in a show or book and sit down with your kids they are far more likely to engage with you and do the same. Set the example!
Try a variety! Not every kid will like the same books or shows as the next kid! Even siblings! My children are each extremely different in their interests – and that’s ok! Try reaching your child with a variety of things from documentaries, anime, cartoons, illustrations, facts, challenges, and other unique spins on content.
Let them see you with educational materials! If you are already consuming educational content yourself, chances are your kid(s) will at some point be interested and join you!
Keep books visible and reachable! Leave books laying around, have them on shelves easily accessible. If your kids complain they are bored point them to the books laying around! Try National Geographic books, Ripley’s Believe it or Not books, and graphic novels!