This beautiful (and fragrant!) homemade air freshener not only is inexpensive but makes a great thoughtful handmade holiday gift (from you or the kids!)! You can also create it to add on to a gift as a gift tag!!
Wooden cut outs (balsam wood works best, sold in packs of 4-6 for under $3 at most craft stores)
Essential oil of your choice (buy them cheap on Amazon !)
1. Begin by placing a few drops of oil in a small bowl. Any essential or scented oil will do.
2. Mix in a drop or two of food coloring. You only need to do this step if you wish for your air freshener to be colored. You can leave it natural if you wish and avoid food coloring all together.
3. The oil and coloring will separate, so take a toothpick and stir quickly to mix it well.
4. Dip the brush in the mixture and brush it onto the wood cut out. Apply it generously. It is easiest if you have the cut out resting flat on a plate when you color it.
5. Apply the mixture to both sides of the shape, allowing each side to dry thoroughly before flipping.
6. Once the shape is dry, feel free to brush on one last coating of scented oil.
Now all you need to do is allow the shape to dry. Once it is, cut a length of twine or ribbon and run it through the shape. If you want to use it as a gift tag you can also add a long strip of burlap under it and wrap it around a gift! The air freshener can now be hung wherever you please. In time, should you wish to add more fragrance simply brush it on as you did before. The wood will soak up the oils and the shape will retain the smell nicely.