I just LOVE the fall season – there are SO many inexpensive DIY home decorations that you can come up with! If you love the look of chevron you will simply love how easy and inexpensive this chevron pumpkin planter is – and it makes a GREAT gift! For just a few bucks or less you can create these Chevron Pumpkin planters in a variety of styles and designs! You’ll need just a few craft store supplies (I like hitting the Dollar Tree first!) and the end result is a sophisticated and practical planter for your fall blooms.
Washi or Painter’s Tape
spray paint of desired color
Faux Pumpkin (real ones are OK but will rot eventually!)
1. Begin by creating the chevron pattern on your pumpkin by using the tape to create your designs. Simply press the tape firmly onto your pumpkin in a basic pattern. For our pumpkin we wanted a little more of a unique look so I didn’t want our pattern to be too perfect. If you want the chevron pattern to be perfect however I highly recommend using Frog Tape!
2. Once your tape is firmly in place apply 1-2 coats of gold spray paint, or any other color that you wish! Allow the paint to dry for a good hour before moving on to the next step!
3. Once your paint is fully dried slowly pull the tape off of the pumpkin.
4. Now you’re ready to prep your planter! Begin by using a sharp knife to carve off the top of the pumpkin. Make sure to poke a few holes in the very bottom of the pumpkin for draining if you are planting directly into the pumpkin.
5. Fill the inside of the pumpkin 1/4 of the way with pebbles, then newspaper to help with drainage (if you’re planting directly into the pumpkin. Add your plant and surround with potting soil
If desired you can cut a hole the size of the pot your mums came in and it can be placed directly down into the pumpkin!
This is a GREAT craft for kids to work on to give grandparents, hostesses, or teachers as a gift! You can also color coordinate faux pumpkin planters for themes, school colors, or simply for a beautiful home decor!