What is YOUR Biggest Money Saving Tip?
Let me know your favorites!!
There are a LOT of ways that we have implemented in our family in an effort to cut costs as much as possible. Here are some that have helped us:
- Couponing for Groceries (I also print online coupons!) This saves us as much as $600 a month or more!
- We almost never eat out anymore! And if we do we try to use coupons or eat somewhere cheap.
- Turn off the lights in our house & open the blinds to let the sunshine in.
- Unplug unused appliances.
- Drink more water! Seriously- we buy a lot less soda & juice!
- Rent movies instead of seeing them in the theatre! This can save you almost $20!
- Wash/dry all my laundry at one time- my dryer will already be hot instead of needing to reheat.
- Put the air/heat a little warmer/colder than we would like it- even 1* saves on electricity! We also use the Nest Thermostat which has saved us far more money than we spent on it!
- Turn the water OFF while brushing teeth or scrubbing dishes! Every little bit helps.
- For our baby- we use cloth diapers. No more buying disposables! This has been a huge money saver. You can find out more about saving money by using cloth diapers here.
- Shop secondhand- especially in the summer I hit up the garage sales and look for clothes for the kiddos, toys, household appliances, and anything else we might need! If you have a good thrift store (which we don’t) you can try them too!
- In the summer instead of using the dryer we hang out clothes on the line outside.
- Participate in online survey companies.
- Cancel extra bills like cable or extra phone lines. (this one is a toughy!)
- Shop around for insurance rates. We just saved $800/year on our car insurance! (and no- it wasn’t with Geico!)
- Cancel events that you just can’t afford. We had been planning on a vacation this year and (sadly!) we did have to cancel. As much as we really wanted to go- we just couldn’t afford it. It’s OK to do that- plan something fun that’s more cost effective or free that week!