Saving Money on Family Entertainment- Movie Theatres
This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.
1. Rent it at Redbox or Blockbuster Express for $1/nite. This is definitely the route my family goes most of the time. Plus side- it’s MUCH cheaper and closer to home. Downside, you do have to wait till the movie comes out on video.
2. Go earlier in the day for the matinee price. If you go during matinee times you can save as much as $4 per person! If you have a family of 5 that’s an extra $20!!
3. DON’T BUY SNACKS at the theatre!! Seriously- just a popcorn and drink can drop you over $10! It’s outrageous!! (Do you know many groceries I can buy for that!!)
4. Look for “CHEAP SEAT” Theatres. Some cities have cheap theatres where the movies may be just a month or 2 older than the other theatres. We have one near us that’s only $3.50 each! They may only show 3-4 movies instead of 10, and they are a little older, but the movies are playing before they can be rented. We even have one near us where you go to the theatre and sit around plushy couches & dinner tables and can order food (which is of course very expensive)!
5. By far the coolest and my favorite way to see a movie- a DRIVE IN MOVIE THEATRE! Not everyone has these near them, but if you do I highly encourage you to go & check it out!! Most of the time this will give you the “biggest bang for your buck” in going out to see new movies. Most of the drive ins I’ve been to you pay by carload- so you can load up with some friends and split the cost. Or maybe they let the kids get in free so you only pay for adults. Each theatre has their own rules.