Last year our Abraham Lincoln plate and George Washington puppet crafts were HUGE for President’s Day (although this free printable presidential pack is also popular too!) so I thought I’d bring you something with a little more of a culinary spin! We’ve had the opportunity to visit both Lincoln’s House in Springfield as well as Mount Vernon so my kids had a blast recreating these two famous presidents.
Recipe Yields: 1 dozen cookies
2 candy/cookie molds
24 oz vanilla almond bark
18 regular Oreos
1/4 cup crushed Oreo crumbs
24 mini marshmallows
1/2 cup Wilton black candy melts
1/2 cup royal blue candy melts
Wilton gold star sprinkles
Wilton white icing gel
Wilton black icing gel
Wilton red icing gel
1. Warm the almond bark in a double boiler over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Transfer to a small mixing bowl for easier handling.
2. Place 2 tablespoons of the melted almond bark into each of the molds (12 total).
3. Place an Oreo cookie in each mold, on top of the melted chocolate.
4. Spoon additional melted chocolate into this mold, up to the fill line.
5. Chill for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Remove the icing from 3 of the Oreo cookies. Cut off the ends of each Oreo piece so you have a large rectangle shape. You should have 6 rectangles (top hats), total. Set aside the Oreo ends that were cut off for Step 5.
3. Add the black chocolate candy melts to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
4. Dip each rectangle shape into the melted black candy and place on the lined cookie sheet to harden.
5. Dip 6 of the end pieces that were cut off in Step 2 into the melted black candy. Place on the cookie sheet to harden.
6. Remove 6 of the coated Oreo cookies out of their mold. Spoon a teaspoon of the melted black chocolate on top of each Oreo and place a top hat piece (rectangle) on top of the chocolate.
7. For the hat rim, add melted chocolate to the straight side of the end pieces from Step 5. Place the piece directly below the top hat and hold for 15 seconds to allow the chocolate to adhere.
8. For the beard, place a small amount of melted chocolate on each face, along the diameter of each Oreo. Sprinkle the Oreo crumbs on top of the chocolate.
9. Apply white icing to the back of 2 eyes (12 total) and gently place on each of the Oreos.
10. Pipe a smile on each cookie with the red icing gel.
1. Remove the icing from 3 Oreo cookies. Cut off the bottom 1/3 of each cookie wafer and discard. Shape the cookie wafers into colonial hats by cutting out 2 small triangles on each corner of the round side of the cookie.
2. Add the royal blue candy melts to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
3. Dip the “hats” into the melted blue chocolate and place on the lined cookie sheet.
4. Before the chocolate hardens, place an edible gold star sprinkle on each hat.
5. Remove the remaining 6 Oreos from their molds. Add a small amount of the leftover blue or black melted candy (you may have to microwave the candy again if it hardened) to the top of each Oreo. Place a blue hat on top of the melted chocolate.
6. Apply white icing gel down both sides of each Oreo.
7. Press 2 mini marshmallows into the icing on each side.
8. Apply white icing gel to the back of two eyes and gently place on each Oreo (12 total).
9. Pipe a nose on each face with the black icing gel. Pipe a smile on its face with the red icing gel.