Can you believe it’s already almost time to change our clocks again?? November 4th not only marks the time change but it also is the 25th anniversary of the “Change Your Clock Change Your Battery” program with Energizer and International Association of Fire Chiefs. Keeping tabs on your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector and making sure they are working properly could save your life. I know that sounds trite but it really can. Just before we moved up here to Iowa a family in the community had their house burn down. And just a few weeks ago as we were driving home we spotted an enormous fire which we drove past – thankfully that one was just a barn fire but it was scary and definitely reminded us to make sure our safety alarms at home were working properly. In fact I was SO grateful that we received the Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detector from Energizer as the one in this house is older and probably needs to be replaced.
Did you know that 38% of fires occur in homes with no detector? And 24% have detectors that aren’t working properly? Considering how easy it is to just change out a set of batteries that’s a staggering number! For our family the “Change Your Clock Change Your Batteries” has been a big help for us. We don’t have to remember any specific times to check our detectors and when it’s time change we are already walking through the house resetting the clocks!
This is officially the coolest flashlight ever! Not only is it a weather ready light with a safety and emergency list on the front but there is also a whistle at the end AND you can use AAA, AA OR C batteries! I didn’t even know they made flashlights like that!! You open up the flashlight and can insert any of those sizes of batteries in and it will work!
Now through November 4, visit the Energizer Bunny® Facebook page and click on the Fire Safety Info Tab to enter a sweepstakes for an additional Family Safety Kit. Energizer will be giving away one Family Safety Kit per day for 25 days. You can also find fire safety tips, a home escape plan that you can download and draw your family’s home escape plan, as well as a coloring and activity sheet. Contained in the kit, valued at more than $150 is:
- · One reusable grocery tote
- · Two Kidde Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarms
- · One package of Energizer Advanced Lithium batteries
- · One package of Energizer® MAX® Batteries (AA) with Power Seal Technology – Dependable, powerful performance for the devices that help keep your family safe; now hold their charge when stored for up to 10 years
- · Two Energizer flashlights
- · Two Energizer Flameless Wax Candles
- · One Energizer Bunny Plush Bunny
BUT don’t JUST change your batteries even though that is EXTREMELY important – also make sure that you teach your children what to do if they are ever in a house that is on fire! Last week our local fire department came out to my son’s school and brought along their safe house. It was an AWESOME hands-on experience for the kids. They all watched a video of what to do if they were in a burning house. Then they entered the safe house which was then pumped full of smoke (not fire!) and the kids had to get down on their hands and knees, check doorknobs, and crawl out windows and doors to get out the proper way.
Energizer has offered one of my readers the following prize pack:
- One 2-pack of Energizer® MAX® Batteries (9v) with Power Seal Technology – Dependable, powerful performance for the devices that help keep your family safe; now hold their charge when stored for up to 5 years
- · One Energizer® Flameless Wax Candle – Enjoy the realistic flicker of a scented wax candle without the worry of open flame or hassle of soot and dripping wax
- · One Energizer® Weatheready® Safety Light – Waterproof flashlight powered by AA, AAA or C cell batteries; includes safety whistle and imprinted preparedness checklist
- · One Kidde Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm
To enter this giveaway simply leave a comment below letting me know how you will be fire-safe this year! Will you be changing your batteries in your smoke detector? Will you be installing a new one? Will you be teaching your kids fire safety rules?
For additional OPTIONAL entries please leave one comment for each separate thing completed.
*Enter Energizer’s Family Safety Kit giveaway on Facebook!
*Leave a comment on any other non-giveaway post.
*Follow us on Twitter!
*Follow us on Pinterest!
Disclosure: I received a Family Safety Kit in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own. Giveaway is open to US only and will end on November 4th, 2012 at 10 pm EST. Winner will be chosen randomly & have 48 hours to claim prize before a new winner is chosen.